Bishop Engénio Trigueiros was a member of the Order of St. Augustine. He was appointed the coadjutor Bishop in 1724 owning the right to the seat. He came to Macao in 1727 and was consecrated bishop in St. Augustine's Church. Later, because of his misunderstanding with Bishop's Casal, he returned to Portugal in 1734. After the death of Bishop Casal, he came back to Macao in 1738 to fulfill his duty as the Bishop of Macao. The following year, Bishop Trigueiros was appointed as the Archbishop of goa and passed away on his way to take up his new office in Goa in 1741.