Bishop's José Manuel de Carvelho was appointed Bishop of Macao in 1897. When he came to Macao the following year he brought with him seven Cannosian sisters, two priests and them seminariests. During his mission here, he extended the House of Beneficence of Macao and handed over the management of the school and orphanage that he founded in Taipa to the Cannoisan sisters. In 1902 he was transferred to the diocese of Angra in the Azores Islands of Portugal. He died in 1904.