Bishop Policarpo da Costa Vaz came to Macao to take his mission in 1954. During his service he constructed a new campus for St. Joseph's College at Rua da Praia Grande, the School of the Immaculate Heart of Mary and the St. Francis Xavier's School in Coloane. He constructed and founded many schools in Macao, including Perpetual Help College; Mateus Ricci College; St. Teresa of the Child Jesus School; The Rosary School; Stella Matutina College, Estrela do Mar College and Institute of Bishop Melchior Carneiro. He also set up the Catholic Centre and the Policarpo Library, constructed houses of three hundred units for the general public and clinics in Taipa and Coloane. In 1960 he was transferred to the diocese of Guarda in Portugal. He died in 1984 at the age of seventy-five.